| Jim's newest SCC spot - pointer finger on left hand. 6/9/15 |
![]() |
| Spots frozen from Jim's face. June 2015 |
Each time we get a positive biopsy, it gets a little harder to take. I wish we could find a positive spin, but it is cancer, it sucks, and the surgeries are absolutely miserable. This one, being on his finger, is another good candidate for a skin graft, too. Those are truly hideous. Hopefully, it won't come to that, but we are definitely realistic. Three out of Jim's five surgeries have required skin grafts.
We received the first of many positive biopsy results a year ago in April. Once we had the original two summer surgeries scheduled, I remember thinking how this would all be over when school started in the fall. Here we are ending the school year that started that fall and facing more cancer news. It is so exhausting and frustrating. And... it's cancer. We can't sit back and wait, we can't ignore it, we have researched alternative treatments and are not willing to risk Jim's health, so... here we go.
We did talk to the dermatologist about studies researching this type of cancer and maybe finding something to try with Jim. He said the skin cancer that is being researched aggressively is melanoma, because the mortality rate is higher than squamous cell. At this point, the medical options are surgery and topical chemotherapy, both of which Jim has done and is sadly prepared to do again as needed. We do believe in our doctor's expertise and know that Jim is receiving the best care. This is a very strange, atypical case. We feel all we can do at this point is take each day as it comes and keep going.
(Warning.... I am getting on my soapbox. Proceed with caution.)
The other day, I saw something that made me completely nauseous. It was a study discussing how sun exposure is actually safe! It stated that people who spend time in the sun without sunscreen have healthier skin and lower skin cancer rates than people who are cautious by limiting sun exposure and/or wearing sunscreen. This makes me physically ill as it is encouraging dangerous behavior. Two things to keep in mind before jumping on this bandwagon are:
1. The study has not been replicated.
2. It was conducted in southern Sweden which is around the 60 degree north latitude mark. (Thanks to the ski resort, we all know we are hovering a little shy of 49 degrees north latitude in Spokane)
All the current research listed on the cancer sites is the exact opposite. I am including two links to reputable skin cancer sites if you're interested in risk factors, the stats, and some preventative tips.
Please, please, please take precautions in the sun this summer and for the rest of your life. We have shared some of the mildly graphic pictures of Jim's journey, but actually have much more detailed images if you need a little persuasion to be smart in the sun. Skin cancer sucks. It sucks a whole lot. As the one sitting on the sideline, I can tell you it is extremely horrifying to watch. I would do absolutely anything to take this away from Jim and prevent it for the rest of us. Trust me when I tell you it isn't worth it. And, if you need sunscreen, I will buy it for you.... totally not joking.

No comments:
Post a Comment