Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Crazy #8

Today marked Jim's 8th skin cancer surgery.  As I scrolled through Facebook this morning, I read so many thankful posts from friends and family.  I reflected on that and briefly thought I wasn't thankful for a darned thing.  I even considered posting something snarky and sarcastic about being thankful for cancer.  Perhaps I was indulging in a bit of a pity party, but luckily I realized it could be so much worse.  We really do have so many reasons to give thanks.  Truthfully, I am extremely thankful for Jim's medical team.  His doctor is absolutely amazing.  He always listens to our concerns, takes the time to discuss options, and every single time makes decisions that best address Jim's medical needs while balancing his personal concerns.  Today, and so many other days, I am very thankful for our wonderful doctor and his skilled and compassionate staff.  Of course, we are both so thankful for our circle of support.  Our friends, family, neighbors and coworkers have been amazing.  Thank you to all of you for your kindness and caring.  

In today's procedure, they removed a spot of cancer that was nestled between Jim's pinky and ring fingers on his left hand.  This is a spot that doesn't naturally have a lot of excess tissue, but also was the site of his first surgery and was a little thick with scar tissue.  Those factors made us pretty nervous he would require a skin graft.  As we feared, he did need one to close the site.  UGH!  The donor skin was taken from Jim's upper left arm.  Additionally, they addressed a spot on the middle knuckle of Jim's left hand.  The doctor's suspicions of cancer were confirmed, but luckily it was not too deep.   A third spot on the outside of his palm was removed and will be biopsied.  The doc thought that was pretty small and that if it is positive he is very hopeful the margins will be clear, requiring no further surgery.  

Afterwards, Jim was ready for grub!  We enjoyed the magic time before the local anesthesia wore off with lunch out.  It always seems like a tiny bit of a reward to spend some time together and relax once the procedure is complete.

Jim celebrated surviving another procedure with a Stella...
or maybe two.

Of course, T3 was on the menu for me. 
So... time to relax with good pain meds.  Jim's next surgery will be on his right hand on December 7th.  Five weeks to heal before we go back for more!  

2 comments:

  1. I love you both. Kim, I wish you wrote fiction. I would read you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both. Kim, I wish you wrote fiction. I would read you!!

    ReplyDelete